I have been to Black Rock City and back, and after a gloriously long, steamy shower and a record breaking 16-hour recovery slumber/coma, I am still basking in my post-burn glow.
For those who have yet to experience Burning Man, it is hard to explain what this sweet beautiful journey is all about. It’s different for everyone … but I suspect if there is something you seek, you will find it somewhere dancing about the dusty playa.
For me, Burning Man is about letting go and “finding the ability to dream” … it is about human connectedness, radical self expression, participation. At every turn there are stunning displays of creativity, breathtaking artistry, inspiration, and ingenuity. Kindness and generosity and gifts of smiles amongst strangers abound, and the hugs! Burners really know how to hug.
And let’s not forget about the utter and complete FUN of this place. This was by far, the highest level of play I’ve ever encountered…
A roller disco in the middle of the desert? But, of course. A movie theatre (complete with concession stand) rising from nothingness at the edge of the universe? Why not. A stegosaurus art car illuminated in neon, cruising the night with its tricked out sound system at full tilt? Obviously. A marching band competition with dancers on stilts and crowd sing-a-long in the middle of a dust storm? Yes!
As someone aptly note, “These amazing lunatics are the heroes of our community. We salute them.”
This maiden voyage is one I will carry with me forever. My cup is overflowing and I am filled with wonder and utter appreciation for how amazing people can be. As I transition back into “default world” my goal is to make default a little less default — to live with intention and keep this reservoir of positive energy reverberating, at least for another 356 days.
In the meantime, here is my gift to you: Rocky Road Rice Krispies Treats. I made a batch of these nostalgic goodies for the trip and they rocked my world all week long. It’s everything you love about the original treat, but retro fitted with chocolate, studs of salted peanuts and marshmallows, and a subtle buzz of coffee. Enjoy!
Two nostalgic treats merge into one with this goodie. Classic Rice Krispies Treats are retro fitted with chocolate, studs of salted peanuts and marshmallows, and a subtle buzz of coffee.
- 2 sticks (8 oz) unsalted butter
- 4 bags (10 oz each) mini marshmallows
- 5 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 5 cups Cocoa Krispies cereal
- 3 cups roasted salted peanuts
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 3 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Cooking spray
- Line a 9x13-inch cake pan with plastic wrap, making a cross so that the plastic hangs over all four edges (this will make it easy to lift the treats out when they"™re finished). Spray with cooking spray.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add 2 bags of marshmallows and stir until melted and smooth. Mix in the instant coffee and salt. Remove the pot from heat.
- Using a lightly greased spoon or silicone spatula, fold in all of the cereal. Stir in the peanuts, chocolate chips, and 1Â½ bags of marshmallows, working quickly to distribute.
- Pour mixture into the cake pan and press into an even layer (a flexible plastic dough scraper, or lightly greased hands work well). Scatter the remaining Â½ bag of marshmallows on top and press down so they stick.
- Let cool completely. Lift the treats out of the pan using the overhanging plastic wrap, and cut into squares. Enjoy!
Recipe Source: LickMySpoon.com.
Hello! All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you!