It all started with a G-chat…
Ali: Do you make punch ever?
Me: My punch knowledge is pretty limited. It’s either from middle school (sherbet and ginger ale with random floating fruit) or college (a.k.a. Jungle Juice – Kool Aide, grain alcohol, batches made in trash bags)…neither of which are particularly appealing.
Ali: Hahahahhaha. I have bad memories of Jungle Juice.
Me: I have no (clear) memories of Jungle Juice.
Ali: Good point. Can we bring anything for Saturday??
And so, our limited experience with party punch progressed from the unremarkable and nauseating, to the tasty and tasteful! Ali’s Bourbon & Blood Orange Punch was a knockout (har har) and guests were clamoring for a taste of the gorgeous hued elixir.
Fragrant blood oranges, lemon, and a touch of honey bring a floral, citrusy, sweetness to the mix without making it too syrupy sweet. And the warmth from the ginger adds just the right amount of spice and depth. Together, there couldn’t be a better match to complement the Maker’s Mark.
What a great way to set the mood for a party. And have I mentioned how happy I am to have graduated from the Awkward Tween Punches and Blackout Punches of the past? This lip-smackingly good Bourbon & Blood Orange Punch should be called Grown & Sexy Punch. Or Party Punch That Won’t Make You Puke.
Recipe by Ali LaRaia, adapted from Martha Stewart Living Magazine, Dec 1996/Jan 1997
- 20 blood oranges, yielding about 3-4 cups juice
- 9 cups water
- 1 medium-sized ginger root (about 4 oz.), peeled and roughly chopped
- ¾ cup honey
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2-2 ½ cups Maker's Mark
- 3 lemons, thinly sliced in rings
- 3 blood oranges, thinly sliced in rings
- Bottled or Distilled water
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced in rings
- 1 blood orange, thinly sliced in rings
- In a large pot add water, ginger, lemon juice, and honey and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 30 minutes until you can really smell the ginger. Remove from heat and let cool, then refrigerate.
- Juice the blood oranges, then refrigerate.
- Strain both liquids before using.
- Take a large, round Tupperware container and fill half full with water. Add lemons and oranges which should bring the container to about 3/4 full.
- Put in freezer until frozen, about 5 hours.
- Run ice block under hot water to loosen, and place at the bottom of the punch bowl.
- Add the ginger-lemon mixture, orange juice, and Maker's Mark.
- Garnish with sliced fruit.
- Get punch-drunk happy!
Recipe Source: LickMySpoon.com.
Hello! All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you!