Coconut Shrimp with Pineapple Puree
- ¼ cup unsweetened large coconut flakes
- ¾ cup whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs, such as Ian’s All-Natural
- ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 8 ounces large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- One 8-ounce can unsweetened crushed pineapple in juice
- ½ teaspoon chili garlic sauce, such as Twong Ot Toi Vietnam
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the coconut out on the prepared baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, until it is pale golden brown, about 7 minutes. Allow the coconut to cool completely.
- Place 3 tablespoons of the toasted coconut in the bowl of a food processor, and pulse until it is finely chopped. In a small bowl, combine the pulsed coconut with the panko. (Reserve the remaining 1 tablespoon whole coconut flakes.)
- Raise the oven temperature to 450 F. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and set it aside.
- Place the flour in a shallow dish. In a medium bowl, whip the egg whites with a whisk until they are extremely foamy but not quite holding peaks; whisk the coconut extract into the egg whites. Dredge the shrimp in the flour, shaking off any excess. Add the shrimp to the egg whites and toss to coat completely. Then add the shrimp, a few at a time, to the coconut-panko mixture and coat completely.
- Place the breaded shrimp on the wire rack and season them generously with salt and pepper. Bake until the breading is golden and crispy and the shrimp are cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, puree the pineapple (with its juice) with the chili garlic sauce until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon coconut flakes over the shrimp. Serve with the pineapple sauce for dipping.
Recipe from Now Eat This! by Rocco DiSpirito
Recipe Source: LickMySpoon.com.
Hello! All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you!