Happy Friday the 13th/Valentine’s Day!

Friday, February 13, 2009

Tainted Love Red Velvet Mini Cupcakes

Tainted Love Red Velvet Mini Cupcakes

About a week ago I receive an invitation from Brianne and Alex to a party with the most creative theme I’ve heard in quite awhile: Friday the 13th / Valentine’s Day!

Conversation hearts and Killer Clowns, pink-tinted booze and blood-thirsty Birds…tonight we’re going to get a massive sugar rush and laugh while people get comedically massacred on the TV.

Our hosts outside-the-box party planning inspired me contribute some fitting treats: Tainted Love Red Velvet Mini Cupcakes.

My favorite recipe for a classic Southern Red Velvet Cake is from Sylvia Woods’ Family Soul Food Cookbook. Its deep, blood red color is shocking and gorgeous and the cream cheese frosting is downright addictive.

vday-friday-13th-001
vday-friday-13th-015
vday-friday-13th-035

I upped the cute factor by pouring the batter into mini muffin molds and adjust my cooking time to 15 minutes.

Happy Friday the 13th Kiddies! xoxo

Tainted Heart Red Velvet Cupcakes

Tainted Heart Red Velvet Cupcakes

13 Responses to “Happy Friday the 13th/Valentine’s Day!”

1. It would be greatly appreciated if you would immediately send me one of those cupcakes. Thanks

2. DK says:

I hope you watch I Know Who Killed Me. It is a classic. Lindsay Lohan. With stumps.

3. Brianne says:

These, and you, are amazing. I cannot wait!!

4. These cupcakes are just adorable! Have a great weekend!

5. Bob says:

Man, I’ve never had red velvet cake, but I really want to. Those cupcakes look great, hope you have fun at your party!

6. Daily Spud says:

Very big cute factor. I, too, have never had red velvet cake, so I would also appreciate you sending some my way – in fact, swap ya for some potato bread, lol :)

7. Adorable does not seem to adequately describe these. I suddenly have a craving for red velvet! :)
    PS – I love the skulls for the emo kids

8. jm says:

had some really awful red velvet cupcakes yesterday… these look much much tastier–and sinister!

9. Shani says:

I wish I had seen this post a week ago, I certainly would have borrowed the party idea! The red velvet cupcakes look divine… going to have to go bake some myself!

10. [...] this dessert with step-by-step photos…just in case you wanted an alternative to the slew of red velvet hitting the waves.Blood Orange MarmaladeThis blushing tart starts with a blood orange marmalade. [...]