I’m all for ice creams with creative mix-ins, textures, and interesting flavor combinations, but sometimes you just want old fashioned, classic vanilla. This Malted Vanilla Bean Ice Cream takes that sentiment to new levels of nostalgia. For me, it is the ultimate vanilla ice cream.
The malt gives you that Happy Days, poodle-skirt wearing, soda fountain-loving feeling. And the deep vanilla flavor and pretty speckles of vanilla bean make this ice cream a dreamy luxury.
I rarely crave regular vanilla ice cream, but this malted vanilla? That’s another story. You’ll see. This is the perfect ice cream for pie, for drizzling salted caramel over, and for milkshakes! Oooh, I love a good vanilla malt milkshake!
My friend Stephanie recently introduced me to a lovely family-owned vanilla company called Heilala Vanilla. Based in New Zealand, with operations in Tonga, Heilala started as a gift of land from a Tongan chief to a family with a horticultural background. It turned into an aid project after a cyclone hit the islands in 2001, and then grew into a flourishing business with a focus on fair trade practices and organic growing principles.
Not to mention, the flavor and fragrance of Heilala’s vanilla is top notch. The vanilla grown at Heilala is of the bourbon variety, often called Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla. It is sweet, rich, and almost has an oaky quality to it. The aroma is heavenly.
To kick off the holidays, Heilala Vanilla is offering a giveaway of its “Ultimate Vanilla Baker’s Pack” so that you can experience the joy of this vanilla for yourself! The pack includes vanilla paste, vanilla extract, vanilla-infused sugar, vanilla syrup, vanilla beans, a tea towel, and recipe book.
I particularly love the vanilla paste – a magical little jar of vanilla seeds suspended in a jelly-like paste of vanilla extract. One teaspoon of the paste is equivalent to a teaspoon of extract, or the seeds of one vanilla bean. The vanilla bean paste is perfect for when you want to see those wonderful little vanilla bean specks…like in this Malted Vanilla Ice Cream!
Malted Vanilla Ice Cream
Sometimes you just want old fashioned, classic vanilla. This malted vanilla bean version takes that sentiment to new levels of Happy Days, poodle-skirt wearing, soda fountain-loving nostalgia. The deep vanilla flavor and pretty speckles of vanilla bean make this ice cream a dreamy luxury. Perfect alongside pie, made into sundaes, or churned into a malted milkshake!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Yield: 1 ½ quarts
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the cream and milk right to a simmer (don’t let it boil or scorch).
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the yolks, malted milk powder, sugar, vanilla paste, and salt until well combined.
- Temper the dairy into the egg mixture so that you don’t get scrambled eggs. To temper, add about ½ cup of the hot cream mixture into the egg mixture while whisking constantly. Repeat with another ½ cup of hot cream. Now that both mixtures are closer in temperature, you can safely add the egg mixture into the saucepan with the cream, whisking as you slowly pour the egg mixture into the saucepan.
- Set up a fine-mesh strainer over a large clean bowl. Set up an ice bath.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly (a flat wooden spatula works well) in a sideways figure eight motion (down the center, up the left side of the pan, down the center, up the right). Continue until the mixture is thick enough to coat the spatula and holds a clear path when you run your finger across the spatula.
- Immediately strain the ice cream base into your set up bowl. Place the bowl over the ice bath and stir until the mixture is cool. Stir in the vanilla extract. Remove the bowl from the ice bath, cover with plastic wrap, and chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator (at least 2 hours or overnight).
- Freeze the ice cream base in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. If you’re adding any mix-ins, add them during the last minute or so of churning. Enjoy immediately, or for a firmer ice cream, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze for at least 4 hours.
Enter to win a Heilala Vanilla’s “Ultimate Vanilla Baker’s Pack”:
- 100 ml Heilala Vanilla paste
- 100 ml Heilala Vanilla extract
- 30 gm Heilala Vanilla infused sugar
- 250 ml Heilala Vanilla syrup
- Tube of 2 Heilala Vanilla beans
- Heilala Vanilla tea towel
- Heilala Vanilla recipe book
Simply leave a comment on this post telling me what you’d like to make with your Heilala Vanilla.
For additional entries:
- “Like” Lick My Spoon on Facebook. Leave a comment on this post telling me you did so (if you’re already a fan, that counts too!)
- Share the link to this post with your friends on Facebook. Leave a comment on this post telling me you did so.
- Tweet It. Leave a comment on this post telling me you did so.
All entries must be received by Saturday, December 7th, 11:59 pm PST. Winner will be selected by a random number generator and notified via email.
Also, be sure to check out Frankly My Dear, Café Johnsonia, LinzLinzLinz, and A Southern Fairytale who are also running this same giveaway this week! You’ll love what they did with their Heilala Vanilla
***UPDATE: CONTEST IS CLOSED***
Congrats to Amanda, our Heilala Vanilla winner!
Disclosure: This giveaway is courtesy of Heilala Vanilla.