A favorite from our Burning Man Meal Plan archives! It feeds a lot (so it’s great for parties or potlucks on- or off-playa for that matter), freezes well, and is hefty so it’ll sustain you through your adventuring well into the night.
- 5 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 6 pounds Andouille sausage
- 5 medium onions, diced
- 1 head celery, diced
- 4 red bell peppers, diced
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 1 quart water
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 ¼ pounds short grain white rice
- 2 cups white wine
- 3 28-oz cans diced tomatoes
- Zatarain’s Creole Seasoning to taste
- Season chicken with Zatarains. Place a large saute pan over medium-high heat and add just enough olive oil to coat the bottom. Add the chicken and cook through, browning both sides. Remove chicken, let rest, then paddle in stand mixer until meat is shredded.
- In the same large pan, brown the sausage. Pulse half in food processor, leave half in bite-sized chunks.
- Drain excess fat from the pan, coat the bottom with olive oil and place over medium-high heat again. Saute onions, celery, and peppers until softened. Work in batches so you don't crowd the pan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, in a large pot, combine stock and water and heat to just below simmer.
- In another large pot, melt butter, stir in rice and let toast.
- Add wine and let it cook off. Add hot stock/water and tomatoes. Stir. Bring to boil.
- Add chicken, sausage, onions, and celery. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 25 to 30 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Fluff and season to taste with Zatarain's.
Recipe Source: LickMySpoon.com.
Hello! All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you!