Mississippi Caviar: Bean Saladfeatured
Finding a good make-ahead recipe is like finding the perfect shade of red lipstick. Once you’ve made your discovery, you’ll come back to it time and time again because you know it works.
A good make-ahead recipe will serve you well. It’s a tried and true win. It’s your secret weapon.
Friends, meet the latest addition to your arsenal: Mississippi Caviar.
This recipe has all the makings of a staple:
- Make Ahead
Bonus points, not only is this bean salad make ahead, it tastes EVEN BETTER as 2nd or 3rd day leftovers because all the flavor of the dressing gets soaked into the beans. By day three of marination, everyone is real good friends.
Special thanks go out to Miss Dawn for first introducing me to Mississippi Caviar. She whipped up a big batch of this the first time I visited New Orleans and we all snacked on it the entire week. It’s great with tortilla chips, and phenomenal with enchiladas.
This bean salad is so delicious you'll forget that it's good for you. Best of all, it gets better as it sits so let it marinate a day or even two before eating. Awesome with tortilla chips, or as a healthy side dish.
- 16 oz can black beans
- 16 oz can pinto beans
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 small red onion
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Tabasco to taste
- Give the beans a quick rinse in a strainer. Finely chop the peppers and onion -- I like it really fine, like confetti.
- Whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, mustards, garlic powder, salt, and Tabasco.
- Pour the dressing over the beans, peppers, and onions. You could eat it right away, but this is best when it has had time to marinate (at least 24 hours in the refrigerator). Give it a good toss before serving.
Recipe Source: LickMySpoon.com.
Hello! All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you!
Do you have a staple make-ahead dish you love? And more importantly, have you found your perfect shade of red lipstick?