"A tomato is an agreement between God and the month of August."
-- Robert Reynolds
I saw this quote (thx @poeticappetite
!) a few weeks back and loved it instantly. It’s so true. Ok, so August has somehow come and gone already, but I am still hanging on to my summer tomatoes as long as I can! Good thing here in SF, our Indian summer season is just beginning.
This week’s High Five
is all about the glorious tomato
. I live for tomato season. It means tomato pie
and fresh tomato sauce
and gorgeous sweet red beauties sneaked into every meal. Here's some inspiration on how to make the most of your tomato bounty:
- Creamy Tomato and Crab Fettuccine. This sounds like the perfect luxurious meal to celebrate the last bits of summer.
- Savory Tomato Crisp. Roasted tomatoes topped with a pine nut and parmesan crisp topping. Oh hell yeah.
- Tomato Pesto. Love this creative spin on pesto. I’d toss this with orzo or slather it on a sandwich.
- Salt-Free Bloody Mary Soup. What a fun take on tomato soup! Diggin’ the fresh horseradish.
- TREAT YO SELF: Melon Gazpacho. That’s right, tomatoes are even sneaking into your sweet treat this week. I’m so intrigued by this late summer melon-stone-fruit-tomato concoction. Is it a salsa? A gazpacho? Why pigeon hole with labels. This sounds totally refreshing and lovely...especially with a spoonful of sorbet on top.