Whew, it has been a busy week! 2012 ended and 2013 began. We said goodbye to a year full of delicious memories and we said hello to cooking school! Cookies, crumb cake, carbs slathered in honey butter...we had a good run, old friends, but it is time to move on, shape up, veg out. Whether you are in detox mode or just gearing up to tackle the new year with some good, healthy veggie-fueled energy, here are some delicious and nutritious ideas for your meal plan this week. So raise a glass (of green juice), and cheers to Friday, cheers to you!
- Beets with Endive, Citrus and Radish Salad. I discovered Christopher’s gorgeous food photography on 500 px and was delighted to find out that not only could he shoot a mouthwatering photo, he could cook too! This artful beet salad is just the thing to brighten these winter days. (It’s so darn pretty, keeping this in mind for Valentine’s Day!)
- Kale, Cabbage and Carrot Salad. This is a great salad for busy people. People like you. Make a big batch and keep it in the fridge. It gets better with time as the hearty greens soak in the flavorful creamy caper dressing.
- Roasted Eggplant Salad with Almonds, Feta, and Mint. This salad packs a flavorful punch with eggplant that is roasted in olive oil, cider vinegar, honey, smoked paprika, and cumin. Add bunches of salad greens and some grilled chicken and this is one healthy, filling, and satisfying meal.
- Beet and Orange Salad. Ok, so there are two beet and citrus salads on this list, but I couldn't choose. Besides, they’re totally different and fantastic in their own right. I love this version for its simplicity and sunshine. This is a no fuss kind of recipe for any day (written in Michael’s distinct hilarious fashion).
- TREAT YO SELF: Just because we are being good doesn’t mean we can’t treat ourselves. Heidi’s "Nikki’s Healthy Cookies” have been a favorite of mine for years. The recipe uses mashed bananas and a bit of coconut oil as a binder, and is butter-less, flour-less, egg-less, and potentially sugar-less. They are so much better than you would ever expect.